I’m not a natural in the kitchen. Translation: I rely on a recipe to cook anything. I still like the safety of looking at a recipe even if I’ve prepared it many times. My husband, Harry, can go into the kitchen take a pinch of this and a bit of that and come up with a great dish. One of his many talents is creating spice blends. He uses the blends to add flavor to chicken, roasts, and veggies. You name it.
My favorite concoction of his is something that he uses to season his delicious pulled pork. He generously sprinkles the blend all over a pork roast, sears it, and then slow cooks it in a Dutch oven or slow cooker until the meat is falling apart. The first time I tasted his pulled pork; I said, “What seasoning did you use?” He said, “Something I made up today.” I immediately asked, “Can you duplicate the recipe?” He said, “Sure!” I said, “Do it now, please!” He did and I’m sharing it with you today.
We make a batch and keep it in a jar to sprinkle on pretty much everything. Don’t let the list of spices intimidate you; I’m sure that you have most of them in your spice cabinet. The recipe calls for Chipotle Pepper Flakes, you can leave it out, but I love the smoky flavor it gives to the blend. I found the Chipotle Pepper Flakes at T.J. Maxx. I’m sure similar stores sell it in their food aisles.
One more thing, the seasoning blend also makes a great gift for friends and family who enjoy cooking. I put the mixture in small jars that I decorate with colorful washi tape. I also add a homemade tag.
- ¼ cup Sea Salt (finely ground)
- 2 Tablespoons Black Pepper (finely ground)
- 2 Tablespoons Sweet Spanish Paprika
- 2 Tablespoons Cayenne Pepper – Reduce by half if you like it not so hot
- 2 Tablespoons Granulated Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons Granulated Onion
- 1 Tablespoon White Pepper (finely ground) – Reduce by half if you like it not so hot
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Chili Powder
- 2 teaspoons dry Mustard Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Chipotle Pepper flakes (or finely ground)
- ½ teaspoon Cumin (finely ground)
- ½ teaspoon Coriander (finely ground)
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric (finely ground)
Add all ingredients to mixing bowl and simply stir with a wire whisk until well blended. Yield: Approximately 1 cup